Reuters reports that the United States will not recognize Russian-annexed areas across Ukraine amid what the White House on Wednesday called “illegal and illegitimate” referendums that were manipulated by Moscow and would be challenged internationally.
“Based on our information, every aspect of this referanda process was pre-staged and orchestrated by the Kremlin,” White House spokesperson Karine Jean-Pierre told reporters at a briefing, adding that Washington would rally opposition to recognizing the annexed territories, “including at the UN.”
“Regardless of Russia’s claims, this remains Ukrainian territory,” she said.
- White House says Russian-backed referenda in Ukraine were straight from the kremlin playbook.
- Says Ukraine referenda were manipulated and manufactured.
- Says referendum in Ukraine were staged and orchestrated.
- Says these referenda are illegitimate and outrageous.
- Says referenda are pretext for Russia to try to annex Ukrainian territory.
- Says will work to impose additional economic costs on Russia.
- Announces $1.1 billion package of weapons and equipment for Ukraine.
- Says if Russia moves forward with annexation, we will be prepared.
- Says the consequences of Russian annexation will be real and extraordinary.
Such rhetoric will not do risk sentiment any favors with already very nervous financial markets that have propelled the safe-haven dollar to a two-decade peak on Wednesday.
Read the full article here